About CCC + CCCAction:
The Center for Community Change is committed to help build powerful and dynamic movements in diverse communities to create meaningful change. With our grassroots partners, we build the power and capacity of low‐income people and communities of color to make significant policy changes in their lives.
Our focus areas include jobs and income, immigration, affordable housing, racial justice and barriers to employment for formerly incarcerated individuals.
For a more detailed description of our sister organization, please go here for CCCAction.
The Center for Community Change is looking for social justice warriors with a passion for creating social change through powerful storytelling. The Communications Fellows program is made up of writers, videographers, photographers, graphic artists and high-level social media users who tell the stories that change the narrative of poverty and focus on the real lives of the people struggling every day to make ends meet.
The right candidate is brimming with creativity and looking for unique ways to create and share content that broadens the national discussion around social justice and inserts authentic voices into these conversations. An ideal candidate has expertise in one or more of these areas: photography, video or audio production, graphic design or writing. The Fellow will be responsible for identifying potential stories and storytellers within their communities and producing content in their preferred medium.
This position is uniquely suited for highly motivated individuals who have experience with and fighting against economic and social justice issues and are interested in telling the stories of others struggling to make ends meet. The fellow will work on contract and can be based anywhere in the U.S.
- Develop creative storytelling techniques that allow us to tell the story of what it means to make ends meet in America.
- Identify stories and storytellers within their communities and community organizations.
- Conduct interviews with storytellers and produce multi-media stories or content.
- Serve as spokesperson, as needed, on work related to economic justice;
- Serve as a liaison with national partner organizations and a representative of CCC in inter-organization working groups;
- Other duties as assigned.
A successful candidate will be someone who understands grassroots organizing and deeply values the goal of building the power of communities, especially low-income communities and communities of color, and sees the amplification of low-income voices as a key component to achieving social justice. A successful candidate will have her or his own voice as a storyteller, but also an interest in facilitating and amplifying the voices of low-income members of their community. We are strongly looking for visual storytellers.
Specific qualifications include:
- Demonstrated experience as a digital storyteller in one (or more) of these areas: photography, video, design, writing or social media content creation.
- Strong writing, editing and communications skills.
- Excellent interviewing skills, with the ability to put an interviewee at ease.
- Ability to speak with ease in front of an audience and effectively communicate the message of the organization.
- Creative ability to frame ideas and develop stories in a way that appeals to a wide variety of audiences.
- High degree of comfort in developing new relationships and reaching out to potential partners and storytellers.
- Commitment to social and economic justice, the collaborative processes, and the participation and leadership of low-income people and their organizations.
- Wide degree of comfort using social media.
This position reports to: Director of Content Strategy and Development
Salary & Benefits: Communications Fellows will be offered a monthly stipend.
Closing Date of Position: Open Until Filled
How to apply: Please submit resume, cover letter and three story samples to:
[email protected] or [email protected].
The Center for Community Change is an Equal Opportunity Employer