The Center for Community Change Action is committed to help build powerful and dynamic movements in diverse communities to create meaningful change. With our grassroots partners, we build the power and capacity of low‐income people and communities of color to make significant policy changes in their lives.
Our focus areas include jobs and income, immigration, affordable housing, racial justice and barriers to employment for formerly incarcerated individuals.
For a more detailed description of our sister organization, please go here for CCC.
The Center for Community Change Action is looking for short-term communications fellows to join our electoral team in Virginia. We are looking for fellows with a passion for creating social change through powerful storytelling. The fellows are writers, videographers, photographers, graphic artists and high-level social media users who tell stories that will lead and broaden conversation around Virginia’s November elections. The fellows will create content that energizes and mobilizes voters by offering solutions to key issues, including immigration. The contract for the fellows will run through Nov. 30 (or longer if needed). While this is not a full-time position, fellows will be a paid a monthly stipend for their content creation work.
The right candidate is brimming with creativity and looking for unique ways to create and share content that features authentic voices in conversations around policies and the elections. An ideal candidate has expertise in one or more of these areas: photography, video or audio production, graphic design or writing. The Fellow will be responsible for identifying potential stories and storytellers within their communities and producing content in their preferred medium.
This position is uniquely suited for highly motivated individuals with organizing or political experience or experience fighting for economic and social justice issues. The fellow must be based in Virginia.
- Develop creative storytelling techniques to tell the story of how Virginia’s election affects everyday people, from those struggling to make ends meet to those striving for security and safety.
- Identify stories and storytellers within their communities and community organizations.
- Conduct interviews with storytellers and produce multi-media stories or content.
- Serve as spokesperson, as needed, on work related to the Virginia elections;
- Serve as a liaison with local partner organizations and a representative of CCC in inter-organization working groups;
- Other duties as assigned.
A successful candidate will be someone who understands grassroots organizing and deeply values the goal of building the power of communities, especially low-income communities and communities of color, and sees the amplification of low-income voices as a key component to achieving social justice. A successful candidate will have her or his own voice as a storyteller, but also an interest in facilitating and amplifying the voices of low-income members of their community.
Specific qualifications include:
- Demonstrated experience as a digital storyteller in one (or more) of these areas: photography, video, design, writing or social media content creation.
- Strong writing, editing and communications skills.
- Excellent interviewing skills, with the ability to put an interviewee at ease.
- Ability to speak with ease in front of an audience and effectively communicate the message of the organization.
- Creative ability to frame ideas and develop stories in a way that appeals to a wide variety of audiences.
- High degree of comfort in developing new relationships and reaching out to potential partners and storytellers.
- Wide degree of comfort using social media.
This position reports to: Director of Content Strategy and Development
Salary & Benefits: Communications Fellows work on contract and receive a monthly stipend.
Closing Date of Position: Open Until Filled
How to apply: Please submit resume, cover letter and three story samples to: [email protected] or [email protected].
The Center for Community Change Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer